Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My One Friend...

Dear Family and Friends,December 2008

When I found out I had cancer (sorry if this is the first time you have heard this), I cried a lot.  I had all the typical questions. Will I die?  How will my family be affected?  Will it ever come back?  Will chemotherapy and radiation be worth it?  What did I do wrong?  Why me? I already have diabetes....isn't that enough??  I wondered if it would change me and what lessons I would learn from this disease.  Then God opened his arms and showed me (and my family) how much he loved me.  He demonstrated his love by using our family and friends to encourage and uplift us.  God also showed his power by answering prayers and proving He still performs miracles!! His love is incredible and so are the actions of all of you in my life.  Here is something I wrote to thank you all for helping me and my family get through this journey.  We couldn't have made it without you...and my one friend.

One Friend is all you need...

One friend sends me cardsOne friend listens to me cry

One friend helps me do laundryOne friend drove me to the ER

One friend shaved his head (to match mine!)One friend bought me a hat

One friend encourages my husbandOne friend prays for me daily

One friend bought me a book on cancerOne friend made us dinner

One friend bought me a book not on cancerOne friend sent us a gift card

One friend went to the altar for meOne friend shopped for me

One friend keeps telling me he loves meOne friend calls to check on me

One friend took my kids shoppingOne friend walks my puppy

One friend sits with me at chemoOne friend organized a prayer meeting

One friend gave me my favorite ice cream (from Cincy!)One friend cleaned my house

One friend bought “day care” for my puppyOne friend shoveled our driveway

One friend organized a Walk for the Cure in my nameOne friend gave me flowers

One friend lit a candle for me (at Mass)One friend takes my kids to the movies

One friend brought me organic foodOne friend gave me MonaVie

One friend knitted me a prayer shawl One friend gave me a thoughtful gift

One friend made me a prayer quiltOne friend sends uplifting emails

One friend sent a box full of gifts from friends in TexasOne friend organized our meals

One friend brought me a huge bag full of hatsOne friend developed a blog for me

One friend takes my kids for the dayOne friend lent us movies

One friend takes my kids to the lakeOne friend gave me a book report on cancer

One friend incentivized my kids to keep their rooms cleanOne friend explains all the doctor stuff

One friend took my kids to a musicalOne friend took my kids to the pool

One friend takes care of me when I am sickOne friend gets my kids off the bus

One friend says he will never leave meOne friend took my kids during surgery

One friend honored me at a church dinner program  One friend keeps me up on cancer research

One friend had a “flower shower”  when I finished radiationOne friend drops by the see me

One friend sponsored me in “100 Voices of Hope” for breast cancer research

One friend took my family to Alaska when I finished chemotherapy

My one friend (Jesus) never left me

One friend is a Gift from God...One friend is all you need.

Carol Sluder-2008 Breast Cancer Survivor

No comments: