Saturday, May 31, 2008

Baby Steps...

Okay, say it now... we're a bunch of lazy bums! Yeah, we know... no updates in sometime. Sorry about that... just been busier than a one armed paper-hanger! I'm about to depart to a conference in Dallas, so I'm trying to do all that I can to help things be okay while I'm gone.
Carol is doing her best to build up energy, create some norm around the house and... GROW HAIR!
Chemo is done, yes just for clarification it is REALLY DONE! We're down to Herceptin once every three weeks (not chemo), but drug therapy to encourage the cells to not announce, "Hey, I'm here and I want to replicate in a big way good lookin'" (my layman and uneducated way of saying how it's suppose to work). The Herceptin is given to her via her port at the Oncologist office. She doesn't need a ride because it has no side effects and only takes about 1 1/2 hours. She'll stay on this therapy for the next 10 months.
Next step is surgery (Jaws theme playing on the background now)! She is scheduled for July 9th. Is required to stay overnight in the hospital (St. Vincent) and will come home Thursday morning July 10th. She will have a drain tube in her for a while (that yours truly has to empty), and will need to rest and recover.
What is to be removed you say? Well... they'll clean up the area where the tumor was (remove existing tissue), and then remove some lymph nodes under her right arm (hence the drain tube).
Next step... REST & ENCOURAGEMENT! Six weeks of rest is prescribed after surgery. She needs lots of ENCOURAGEMENT, and interaction with everyone. I'll be encouraging her to pace herself, but get out and enjoy life as well! A fine balance I must say...
What? Yes, another step is in order... Radiation Therapy will be our last big adventure. Six weeks of radioactive energy bombarding the tissue in and around the original site of the tumor, and where the lymph nodes were. It is a daily treatment, and we expect a cumulative affect on her energy. First three weeks she'll be doing pretty good, then she'll become pretty zapped (no pun intended) the last three weeks of the therapy. Though I've questioned it, and am told NO... I still wonder if she'll glow in the dark? Hmmm...
Yep, another step... Hormone therapy! She will be prescribed a drug to block any hormone production in her body (specifically the female types). This step lasts five years, but it's just pills every day ~ NO IV'S!!!!
Next step: God's will... in that we're praying it's His will the cancer is in full remission and never, ever returns! PLEASE PRAY BIG TIME FOR THAT ONE! We're both willing to accept what His will is, but we are selfish and will be quick to admit that. So... we just hope in His grace, she'll be here to preach to the world what Surviving is all about, and what God can do in your life!
With that, I close to go whittle down my Honey Do list, and prepare for 94 degree weather in my favorite State (sorry Hoosiers, but technically I'm a Texan). Be well, stay out of trouble, and remember God does have a plan for you, He does love you (no matter what you have done), and He is in control (but you have to let me...:-). Love, Eric &(Carol, Mary & Anna).

No comments: