Friday, May 2, 2008

Surprise... Surprise... Sargeant!

As Gomer would say in a time long ago when TV was still innocent. For Carol she experienced a BIG Surprise as well...
I had a desire at work to go see Carol... grabbed my packed lunch and left in time to arrive at 12:05 PM... and as you guessed to her surprise! I sat with her, chatted and had my lunch. Watched her drift off to sleep a few times... listen to her apologies because she did, and just be there for her. I thought it was fun, and the highlight of my day. Work was calling me though... so I left at 1:00 PM to head back to the "Salt Mines."
As I walked out of the building I see my brother-in-law Tom walking up with a book in his hand. I said, "wow... what a surprise... here to see Carol?" of course he was and he walked on up as I shuttled myself back to work. Carol called her ride home (Lori) and said hey, I've got a ride... my brother just showed up! Our normal dinner time chat was completely occupied with pages of her memory spilling out fond discussions she had throughout the day.
I'm sure you are asking... "so what makes it special?" Carol's normal ride had to cancel due to a sick kid. For those who know Carol... she is NOT one to ask for help! She cried and cried and finally mustered up the energy to send out an email and make some phones calls to arrange rides for today (and bless each of you for volunteering... the calls and replies were amazing!). Approved Plan: Her Mom was to dropped her off, and then go to an appointment. Lori was to pick her up... and during the treatment she was to sit by herself and relax.
Her day began... Her mother's meeting attendees all cancelled on her for various reasons unknown to her. That allowed her to stay till Noon. At work I felt this overwhelming desire to go see her which is totally against her will since she's a BOOMER who believes in you work, then you work some more, then work a bit more just in case. Lastly, her big brother shows up out of his exceptionally busy schedule to sit with her after I left!
Well I'm sure you are thinking... they obviously coordinated their times so she was with someone during her entire treatment right? I'd like to say that, but "no" is truly the answer. Mom did not expect everyone to cancel on her... I was held up later than I expected due to a customer issue, and darted out of the office so I would arrive in hopes of eating lunch together. Tom, without being told decided to come over and visit with her for a while.
So what eh? Well... you see I prayed last night that she would be okay on her own; not sad, not sick, not feeling sorry for herself. I even wrapped my arms around her and prayed for her this morning in that she would have courage, strength, protection, and a uplifted spirit even though she would be by herself.
I guess God decided to answer my prayer. She spent her day surrounded by family and only spending 12 minutes by herself! Even more amazing... not one moment of it was pre-planned!
Thanks Beth for taking Chester to Doggie Day-Care (and for the gift of providing it). Thanks Drew for supper... sure hit the spot. Thanks to each and every one of you for your willingness to change plans and re-arrange your life to help Carol while in need. Thanks Tom for being there, she so... appreciated it. Thanks goes to Mom's six friends who decided to cancel today unbenounced to you! Thanks God... for answering prayers... no matter how big, or small... you are listening and we appreciate it. Good night - Eric

No comments: