Sunday, February 3, 2008

48 Hours (and not the movie either)

It's Sunday night and we just went through 48+ hours of nearly un-ending nausea. Poor Carol has been down and out since Friday night Feb. 1, shortly after arriving home. I've really felt bad for her, as I have NEVER seen her this sick. When she stated she wanted no visitors, or to talk to anyone... that sent a strong message to me! The girls have been terrific nurses, and semi-okay house cleaners :-)
I have to mention something about friendship. It begins with many statements indicating a willingness to help. It's somewhat overwhelming... and then it kind of becomes noise in the background while you're worried about your spouse and children (oh, and toss in a job on top of that). Then comes the first treatment... you soon realize what those plea's of help really mean to you.
First comes a the driveway. I failed to mention our friend Scott had cleared the driveway on Friday when we came home from our first treatment... bless you Scott! He did the whole thing by hand, with a little help from his Son and our daughter Mary. Then comes the oh man... I don't have any Jello in the house and she needs some. I place a couple of calls and one daughter heads to one neighbors to retrieve some instant Jello. In the meantime I realize I am very uncomfortable with Carol being out of ear-shot range of me. I then call Scott who tells me he's in route to Menards. I ask if he would be willing to purchase an intercom system for me (he's techy enough to know what I need).
I get a call on my cell phone an hour later and an entire intercom system arrives at my door with some ready made Jello. I'm then told that Kari (Scott's wife) wasn't satisfied with the Jello selection at Menards and had gone to Target to retrieve some more. That results in more pre-made Jello, some nausea medicine, hard candy, and pudding to boot. Oh yeah, did I mention all the SuperBowl treats Kari brought over as well so the girls and I wouldn't go treat-less during the Bowl? Thanks Kari... you're an Angel.
Thanks Mike, thanks Jeff for calling to check on me... that meant a lot. Thanks Tamara for your kind words, tons of encouragement and for bringing your mother over bearing gifts.
Thanks to each and every one of you who is praying feverently to see Carol's healing is complete and a part of God's will. Bless each and everyone one of you!!!
We will persevere.. and are very grateful for modern medicine. Speaking of that, I talked to a nurse from the Oncologist's office today and secured another medicine to ease Carol's nausea and it seemed to work, but it also did a good job of knocking her out providing some much needed rest.
Blessings to one and all, and if her strength is good and nausea under control we hope to have a PET Scan done tomorrow to determine if the cancer has setup shop anywhere else in her body. That will help the Oncologist determine if he needs to change his plan of attack. I am looking forward to Carol doing a post all on her own once she feels like using her laptop once again. Good night yawl!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carol,

What a sweet and caring husband you have! This blog is a great service to all of us who care about you. Thank you. Sorry that the first treatment was so rough on you but I hope it means that the chemo is doing its job. Wishing you a peaceful day of comfort and healing tomorrow.
Dianne R.