Sunday, February 10, 2008

An Awakening

Below is an email Carol sent to some friends and family. I'm so glad she's up and moving and almost back to normal. Here it is...

I can't tell you how much your cards, inspiring emails, gifts, meals, flowers, prayers, dog walking, errand running, taking me to appts, etc are doing for my spirits. I won't lie, last week was tough (and I thought child birth was the toughest thing I would endure!). But, I am regaining my strength and appreciating all my wonderful friends, neighbors and family immensely. It pains me that I have not written you all thank you notes...but that seems to be the one task I must let go of. I have to save some energy for Eric and the girls and I hope you can forgive me for not sending you each the fabulous card you each deserve. Just know that I do appreciate each and every one of you and how you are keeping me and my family afloat. God could not have given me a better set of friends and family.

I have always struggled with asking for help, but now see how the body of Christ functions (and has gotten us through this week). I am also thankful that my wonderful husband was able to set up and maintain an incredible blog for those who want the blow-by-blow news. Thank you for all your comments on the blog as well.

Continue to pray for God to be glorified through this adventure, for my children and husband and for my healing as well. People keep asking me what else they can do, you have all done so much but here are a few ideas:

1. If you know my children well...invite them over (as long as your family is not sick) to play. Or if you are planning a childrens activity we would be happy to pay for our children to attend the event with you. Even a trip to the mall or Target would be a welcome escape for them. I feel bad that I cannot take them places.

2. If you have Fridays free, I will be having 15 more doses of chemo and would love to have someone to sit and chat with me. You can bring a book/laptop/mag also since I might sleep for a bit. They usually last 2-3 hours.

3. If you live close and want a bit of exercise...drop by anytime and take my crazy puppy for a walk around the block!

4. If you see those coupons for free groceries/gift card with a new or transferred prescription in the paper/flyer/mailer and will not need it....send it to me! CVS takes any competitor coupon and we are filling prescriptions weekly!

Once again I am sincerely thankful for all your prayers, comfort and concern and love you all very much. With my eyes fixed on Jesus, I am going to run with perseverance the race marked out for me (taken from Hebrews 12:1-2) and make it with the support and help from friends and family like you! With much love, Carol

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys....Kim, Tanie and I thought we could get all the kids together next weekend...I think Sunday...dinner and bowling???? Does that sound germy!!! Love you guys ..Heidi

Anonymous said...

Hey,it's Hannah ...hope you are feeling better, Mrs. Sluder and i hope we see you soon....my mom just told me we might go bowling with you soon.

Anonymous said...

Carol,
I am free EVERY Friday and would absolutely love to take you to all your appts. I will call later in the week....hope you had a better weekend than last week...just remember to take it one treatment at a time and know that each one gets just a bit easier. Much love, Tammy

Marianne Ringgenberg said...

Dear Eric and Carol,
It's Heidi's sister- Marianne. I may be out in Calif but my thoughts are with you in Indy. Carol- I have absolutely NO DOUBT that you will beat this cancer. You are an incredible woman with a light and strength like no one else!!
Much love to you from me.
Marianne
PS Eric - what a fantastic job you are doing with the blog. Thank you for that!!