Saturday, February 2, 2008

Our First Treatment

Carol and I awoke Friday Feb. 1, 2008 to snow on the ground. Carol's wonderful mother Mary had stayed the night with us so someone would be with the girls since we were required to be at the hospital by 7:30 AM. Mary awoke at about the same time and the three of us began the day by starting coffee and finding something to eat. Carol reviewed any last minute instructions with her mother, and we were off to St. Vincent. Grandma and the girls got to start the off-to-school routine later that morning.
We arrived right on time at the hospital and I dropped Carol off at the door and found a place to park our SUV. I met up with her and we walked down to Surgery Suite A. The surgery (pre-op, surgery itself and post-op) went briskly and the surgeon was a very nice lady. Likewise the Anesthesiologist was even nicer... probably once of the nicest I have met. By 10:30 AM we were walking back to the SUV hungry and Carol now sporting a "port" just below her left collar bone with an incision glued shut about 1.5 inches long.
All hail Dunken Doughnuts... they serve breakfast 24 hours a day (just in case you didn't know), and Carol was really wanting breakfast and some coffee! I tredge through the ice and snow to return with her steaming hot coffee and an egg and cheese sandwich on English Muffin (not realizing this would be her last real food for sometime). We drove off discussing how Dunken's coffee isn't quite like a Starbucks, but it's not bad either.
We arrived at the Oncologist office spot on... 11:00 AM that is. We showed up with coffee in hand and made our way back for our visit with him (quick stop for some blood work to determine all systems are go). He commented about the coffee as something we should enjoy... (reflecting back I now know what he means :-) He said we were a go... so we made our way back to "the room" where there are (believe it or not) medical grade Lazy Boy recliners. We actually spent a few minutes discussing which one would work best of us. She didn't want to be chilled by the window, and I didn't like looking down a hallway while other patients come in for their first visit (it's traumatizing to them). She got the recliner and I got a "visitors chair" which isn't know where near as comfortable, but I persevered somehow.
We had chosen a corner and Karen our Oncologist Nurse offered something to relax Carol. I think I said yes, before Carol said yes... just knowing how nervous she was by reading her face. 15 minutes later she was RE....LAX....ED. I can see how people get addicted to narcotics... that is amazing stuff. Kind of wondered if I could "take a hit" myself for a moment, then sanity set back in realizing I couldn't, and someone had to pay attention to all the instructions. Yes, I was nervous as well... wouldn't you be?
Now relaxed, the first IV bag of chemo arrived... Cytoxan (even sounds bad eh?)http://www.drugs.com/cdi/cytoxan.html. Piece of cake, Carol dozed in and out of cautiousness and I watch a Sherlock Holmes flick on my Ipod Touch (you don't think I'm addicted to it do you?).
Eleven minutes before the end of my Sherlock Holmes flick, I looked up and Heidi a good friend of ours is approaching us with a bag of goodies... Carol wakes up immediately and I start sniffing and peaking to see if there is substances in that bag of wonderous beauty and delight.
All I can say is, God Bless Heidi! She rose Carols' spirits up and they chatted like nothing was going on. I on the other hand was not only casing "the bag" but beginning to do the guy thing of going back to finishing my flick. Heidi stayed with us until the Cytoxin was done and then headed back off to work ~ THANKS Heidi (and your roasted almonds and 7 UP saved me later in this story).
Next came the really bad stuff... I mean I've see caulk flow easier then the red looking syrup called Adriamycin http://www.drugs.com/cdi/adriamycin.html. It's delivered in an IV push and Karen would push some into Carol's port and we would chat about nausea (our greatest fear at this point). Before we know it that stuff was done and our coaching over how it turns your urine, and tears pink for the next 24 hours had been completed.
Karen provided a lot of nice documentation to take home that we're still sifting through. She topped off the drug cocktail with a syringe of antisemtic (anit-nausea) and I can't remember the name of that one after she stated it cost $6700 smackers ~ yikes!
We walked out and for all you who know Carol very well... we stopped at the "Women's botique" to SHOP. Of course I was jealous immediately seeing all that hair in one room. The Manager offered to order a wig for me, but I stated "I was quite satisfied with my situation, but thank you anyway."
This is for the guys... have any of you shopped for a wig, or just lulled around a Women's botique? Oh man... I hope I earned some kitchen passes with Carol... as I know I wasn't earning any points with the manager as I walked in and out of that place so many times (to take a hit on my 7-UP and eats some Almonds... again thank you Heidi) that I was setting off the courtesy ding that occurs when a customer arrives or exits. Sorry Andrea, I didn't realize it until after the 20th ding, and the look on your face. I might be a Geek, but sometimes I don't pick up on things like that too well.
An hour and 15 minutes later I discovered that wearing brand new shoes wasn't a good idea as my arches began to hurt, and I had run out of things to advise poor Carol on when it comes to a wig. At this point I utilized a tool in my bag of tricks... I dropped the "I bet Kira would be really good at helping you decide the color...hmm?" Sorry Kira, but you are good at that and I'm not so thank you, and thank you again.
My suggestion saved me and we left with five Breast Cancer awareness wrist bands for the family to wear. We drove home and would have never guessed anything was wrong with Carol other than she (and I as well) were quite tired.
We arrived home to a grand welcome comprised of banners, welcome signs and little notes of love from Anna (she's our "feeler" daughter who loves to do things like that). Grandma (Mary) was still there and Mary (our other daughter) and Anna all greeted us with big hugs. It wasn't two minutes and the girls and Grandma went back to cleaning and doing laundry so when she left we would be "standing in high cotton" (redneck term... see Redneck Dictionary for interpretation).
Within a half hour of our arrival Carol began to feel tired and decided to go upstairs and lay down. In the meantime, our loving neighbor Tier delivered a wonderful hot meal of pork (with an awesome sauce), brocoli rice cassarole, fresh cut fruit, rolls, and some AWESOME brownies.
Grandma, Mary, Anna and I had a wonderful feast while Carol rested upstairs. Of course for those of you who know Mary, she would never leave a kitchen a mess so she insisted on cleaning it up, and making sure both grandaughters knew what they were to do and off she went home.... thanks Mom, you are such a wonderful self-less person!!!!
I'll end the post here... and will post again tomorrow with our story on the affects of Chemo on Carol and our family. In the meantime, thank you for your prayers, well wishes and the many blessing of help, food and genuine concern. Please post your comments... as it really does lift Carol's spirits.
Be well - Eric

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric and Carol, I'm happy to hear that all worked out well for you on Friday and I hope that the weekend is going well, too. God Bless you and your families.

Anonymous said...

What cancer cannot do.....
It cannot.........
invade the soul
suppress memories
kill friendships
destroy peace
conquer the spirit
shatter hope
cripple love
corrode faith
steal eternal life
silence courage"
We all love you and support you,as well as Eric, Mary and Anna.
Love,
The Vergon's

Cheri said...

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these entries.

It really helps to know how to pray specifically.

Cheri Hudspith