Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What a Pain!

Tuesday started off with Carol arriving downstairs at 7:30 AM to oversee Anna's preperations for school ~ I was impressed. She is obviously tired/fatigued but trying hard to participate in daily activities which her Oncologist highly suggested.
I darted off to work about 9 AM after trying to leave things in as normal of a state as I could. It was very hard to leave her... it just rubs you wrong to leave your wife laying on the couch tired and not feeling herself.
Getting back to work for me was somewhat of an acceptable distraction... but I wondered all morning how she was doing. I finally broke down and called her at or about 1 PM. She told me the chest pains she has experienced since Chemo seemed to increase some. She's had these pains before when her blood sugars are very high (and her brother who is diabetic experiences the same thing) so after asking her the typical screening questions for an MI (heart attack) I suggested she call the surgeon's office since she just had surgery and then if no luck or direction there, the Oncologists office.
My pager went off at 2:35 and it was Carol's cell phone number on my display ~ YIKES! Of course I finished my cup of afternoon coffee, chatted with staff members in the hall for 10-15 minutes and decided to call her back -- NOT! I believe I broke the "return a page call record" and found a very upset lady on the other end informing me she was told to go to the ER. My response was plain and simple... I'm on my way!
I arrived at the ER at St. Vincent - Carmel to find Kira standing next to Carol who was a very tired looking patient. I was informed that she wasn't having a heart attack (matter of fact, from what I can remember from reading a heart rythm her heart looks better than mine :-) A beautiful rythm I must say... I wish my Q-wave looked as nice as hers I thought... but I digress. Kira said she was given a dose of pain medication, and some Zofran (for nausea). She seemed peaceful, and a bit embarrassed because for all of you who know Carol she's not one to ask for help, or to put anyone out.
Next steps... a CT chest scan to look for a blood clot, or any other issue that may be causing her pain. Kira went home to tend to the family (thanks Crecelius' for letting us borrow your mother/wife). I took over watch duty and did my best to be a comfort to her (instead of her demanding coach that I can be... she actually has a different title for me, but I'll leave that out here). The Doc ordered more pain med since she complained that the pain was still there... ought oh, our big mistake.
The pain med (more of the first dose) knocked her for a loop and brought on immediate and severe nausea. I mean we were back to Friday night after chemo nausea. I felt so bad for her... man it was rough. Of course in an ER she went from high priority (possible heart attack victim) to low priority due to other patients. She didn't get another nausea drug, and off she went to get her scan done.
When she returned man she was gray in the face and really struggling. The Radiology Tech said she'd say something to the nurse, but 30 minutes went by and no medication (big mistake on my part... should've started screaming at that point but was in a bit of a daze). Doc walks in and sees she's loosing it and orders a med and I somewhat jump on his case about the care there... ouch probably stronger than I should've :-(
The Reglan helped some but she was still feeling bad. He said you need to stay the night because they found inflamation in her media stinum (area between lungs) and wasn't sure why. He consulted her Oncologist on-call and he agreed she should stay. Hmmmm.....
Hospitals are for sick people and a wonderful place for germs... germs of all types and if your immune system is suppressed you need to becareful and have a real need for treatment if you are going to be in a hospital. We discussed it and found out she would not see any physician through the night, just sleep there be woken up on a regular basis for vitals, blood sugar, etc. Basically a very poor nights sleep! Time to call Big Brother!
Tom did a wonderful job of explaining what we were most likely dealing with and that helped her and I make a decision... and that was to go home. You can sleep at home, and as long as we follow up with an Oncologist tomorrow we're fine. Since I'm dangerously armed with a little medical knowledge Carol said, my husband will take care of me so I want to go. The doc wasn't thrilled, and he looked to me to make sure I was comfortable with it... and I said yes (of course I had said a prayer during a break between conversations and felt at peace). He said he'd put the paperwork together but with a disclaimer that we're on our own, etc., etc., etc...
Carol decided to really convince him that she was fine by tossing her cookies (I mean a lot of cookies) in front of him. The look on his face was fantastic... I had to hold back to chuckles as I could just read his mind (these people are crazy). I asked if she could have something to help us get home and she told him of a drug that we got Sunday and he said no problem.
A miricle occurs... she got a dose of Adavan and she's a new person. We hang out for the waiting period (to make sure she had no ill effects from the drug). We're good... and we're released and off we go on a slow ride home (at her request so we didn't have an issue with cookies in my car...ugh).
She's sounds asleep now in her bed, and I'm resting in my night attire reflecting upon yet another challenging but rewarding day. You might ask why? Well... I discovered today that angels do exist and they are in our everyday lives.
Angels arrived to walk our puppy who goes out on a lead, two more cleaned our hardwood floors and did several loads of laundry. Even more dropped everything to rush Carol to the hospital, or rush to our house and take care of our girls (and dogs). An angel is here now sleeping upstairs in case we need to go to the ER again tonight so our children are always under guard.
Thanks Mom, Tom, Betsy, Kira, Anita, Tier, Scott, Tamara, Jennifer, my boss, my peers, and my staff and the hundreds of you who are praying for Carol's healing and well being. You all are hero's in my book. Thank you, bless you, and may God's devine providence shine down upon you.
Good night, and sleep well - Eric

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Eric for all the communication. It's comforting to all of us to hear and have some sense of what is going on.
Tamara

Anonymous said...

Eric: You do a great job of writing about what is happening! Good luck at the oncologist today. Take care. With prayers, Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! This is Carol and Eric's daughter, Mary, and I just want to thank you all for all your doing and prayers and to continue. It is Feb. 6 and Carol (mom) is doing a great deal better than yesterday. Thanks again!